Dr. Maria Orlando Doctoral Dissertation Chair and Associate Professor
"It is important to lead by example and be resourceful and open to new ideas. It is essential to convey your love for teaching and learning in order to keep students and colleagues motivated to always do their best."
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership – Maryville University, 2008
- MA in Educational Administration – Lindenwood University, 2002
- BA in Elementary Education – Lindenwood University, 1998
- Co-authored a chapter—"Strategies for Success in an Online Learning Environment"—in "Emerging Self-Directed Learning Strategies in the Digital Age," 2017
- Principal of a K-8 school that was twice named a Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education
Links to share:
What do you want students to learn in these classes?
- Explain why change, creativity and innovation are essential for survival and growth of individuals and organizations
- Recognize practices for building leadership capacity, coalitions and constituent support while working with resistance and conflict
- Construct and gauge the effectiveness of technology plans and policies
- Assess the value and effectiveness of existing and proposed technology initiatives
- Appraise the different strategies used in strategic management of global change
- Evaluate the current global situation and its impact on management of organizations
Why did you start teaching?
My love of learning grew into a passion for teaching. I continue to teach because it seems to be the most effective and most enjoyable way to make a change in the world. The bonus of teaching for me is what I learn from my students on a daily basis. I am lucky to be able to love what I do.
What advice would you give to those considering this degree program?
My advice to those considering this degree program would include the importance of time management and discipline. In addition, I feel that communication with the instructors and other learners is vital to the success of those in the program, especially in an online program. Communication will help to provide support and create a community of support.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in this field?
Qualities that make someone successful in this field include being approachable, collaborative and skilled at communication. It is important to lead by example and to be resourceful and open to new ideas. It is essential to convey your love for teaching and learning in order to keep students and colleagues motivated to always do their best.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"Good to Great" by Jim Collins.
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
At a point in my career, I left teaching to become a successful financial advisor. It didn't take me long to realize that my true home was in a classroom full of students. I was lucky enough to be able to return to my dream career.