Dr. Scott E. Gillig Professor
"Get ahead of the curve by deciding to learn the fundamentals of research and using data to make decisions."
- PhD in Educational Psychology & Research – The University of Toledo, 1988
- M.Ed. in Guidance and Counseling – The University of Toledo, 1979
- BA in Psychology – The University of Toledo, 1978
- Gillig, S.E. and Cingel, P.A. (2016). Co-occurring disorders and addictions treatment, 3rd Edition (in foundations of addictions counseling). David Capuzzi & Mark Stauffer, Editors. New York: Allyn and Bacon.
- Gillig, S., Cherry, A., Moon, C., Cingel, P., & Lewis, T. (2008). Measures for counseling practice evaluation (MCPE): An outcome tool for evaluating effectiveness throughout the counseling process. OCA Journal of Professional Counseling, April, 1-30. View PDF
- Gillig, S.E. and Blackwell, E. (2006). Self-Advocacy for School Counselors. Dade Counseling Association Bridges, Dec., 5.
- Sperry, L. & Gillig, S.E. (2005). Psychopathology (in Family Therapy Review: Preparing for comprehensive and licensing exams). Robert Coombs, Editor. Mahwak, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Links to share:
I host a website for St. Thomas University sports that contains more than 16,000 photos.
What do you want students to learn in these classes?
- To learn to make data-driven decisions
- To be able to use the fundamental tools of measurement
- To be able to utilize the scientific method
Why did you start teaching?
I started due to opportunities; I continued because I could not imagine doing anything else.
What advice would you give to those considering this degree program?
Get ahead of the curve by deciding to learn the fundamentals of research and using data to make decisions.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in this field?
The ability to stand out from peers by learning to think scientifically and utilize data to demonstrate effectiveness.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
"Reign of Error" by Diane Ravitch.
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know.
I have successfully chaired two dozen dissertations. I am an avid photographer, which helps me connect to others.