It is a dilemma. Many business professionals see a need for more education to advance their careers, but the assurance of a steady paycheck and the demands of a family make it difficult to take time off to earn an advanced degree at a brick-and-mortar institution.
Fortunately, programs such as the accelerated online MBA at St. Thomas University offer career-minded individuals a faster and more affordable solution.
Considerations Before You Take the Plunge
According to U.S. News & World Report, potential candidates for an online advanced degree program must first determine if they have the discipline needed to successfully study at home and overcome the potential distractions: raising a family, job demands, evenings out with friends, the lure of social media. Add studying to the mix, and the pressure can be intense.
If you have the discipline, earning an advanced degree online is very convenient. eLearningIndustry.com lists five advantages:
- You choose what to learn. Online learning has no boundaries. No matter where you live or what you wish to study, there’s a degree program you can follow at home.
- Learn in your pajamas. Forget uncomfortable desk chairs and attending class for hours on end. You can easily access all lectures and materials on online platforms from your workspace at home.
- Education looks good on your resume. An online program shows potential employers you are committed to gaining more knowledge and new skills. An online degree is not inferior to an on-campus degree. A degree earned online from a prestigious university improves your promotion chances and boosts your resume when you apply for a new position.
- Learn at your own speed. Many online learning programs are self-paced — you can start completing targets at any time and arrange a schedule that meets your needs. Self-paced systems do not require attending live sessions, and you can access the study program at a time convenient for you. This flexibility is an advantage for those with families and others who need to keep working as they study.
- Lower cost. You can save thousands of dollars. Although costs vary from one program to another, online degree programs are generally much more affordable than degrees from traditional campuses.
Convenience and affordability are certainly two advantages of online learning, but don’t forget a quality education. For example, online Master of Business Administration programs at St. Thomas University allow students to choose a broad-based, general MBA or tailor their degree in one of five concentrations — marketing, accounting, human resource management, sports administration and cyber security management.
Learn more about St. Thomas University’s online MBA programs.
U.S. News & World Report: Online Graduate Degrees Hit a Sweet Spot of Quality, Convenience
eLearningIndustry.com: 5 Advantages of Online Learning: Education Without Leaving Home